Steak is one of my all-time favourite dishes to prepare; there are few things better than the sizzle of a gjuicy steak hitting the grill, followed by smoke swirling upwards, wafting that glorious smoky aroma. However, outdoor space is hard to come by in large urban Canadian centres. Restrictions on the type of outdoor grill you’re allowed to use, along with cooler temperatures, can limit your grilling opportunities.
Fear not! I have developed four indoor grilling tips, along with a delicious recipe, that will surely impress your guests, without an outdoor BBQ!
My 4 Tips for Preparing the Perfect Steak, Indoors:
- Remove Beretta Farms steak – cut of your choice – from refrigerator one hour before cooking. This will allow the protein time to warm up to room temperature as cooking from cold makes it more difficult for the heat to reach the centre of the steak.
- Preheat your cast iron skillet before you begin cooking, and don’t be afraid to set your stove top to a high setting! Not only does a hot skillet help caramelize the steak, giving it a crispy crust, but it also ensures that the interior of the steak is cooked to the proper temperature. I recommend using a cast iron skillet because it gets hot and stays hot, and its flat surface ensures the entire surface of the steak makes contact with the heat.
- A delicious steak is a properly seasoned steak. All that is required is a generous dose of salt and pepper to bring out the steak’s natural flavours. After seasoning, aim to cook your steak rare to medium; cooking longer often makes the steak too firm and removes natural flavour.
- Once cooking is complete, allow the steak time to rest. Resting allows the natural moisture from the steak to redistribute, making it tender and juicy. Before serving, slice on an angle against the grain (the direction that the muscle fibers are aligned). Cutting steak in this way makes it more tender and easier to chew since the hard work of breaking up the fibers has already been done!
At Beretta Farms, we believe in creating meals with proteins that taste as good as they are good for you. We do this by proudly offering proteins raised without the use of antibiotics, added hormones or steroids on Canadian family farms. Feel good about what you’re sharing at your dinner table with the following Pan-Seared Striploin Steak!
Cynthia Beretta’s Pan-Seared Striploin Steak
- 2 Beretta Farms Certified Organic New York Striploin Steaks
- 2 Tsps unsalted butter
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Liberally season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Drop 1 Tsp of butter into the pan, immediately adding the steak on top. Repeat with remaining steak. Sear for 3 minutes without moving the steak.
- Turn and cook, 2 minutes for rare or 3 to 4 for medium rare.
- Remove both pieces of steak from pan and let rest on a wooden platter for 2 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! Check out some of our wine pairing articles for the perfect pair.