Sometimes, I wish I had a time machine. I’d like to go back in time and say to my mom, “See, weed is not all bad.” When I was growing up, I’d never have dared to smoke a joint. Today, things are different. Attitudes toward marijuana are relaxing as the health benefits are being discovered.
There are now CBD oil and gummies made for kids. Are they a good idea? It depends on the situation. The upside is that CBD will not make them high. It also has significantly fewer side effects than prescription meds, so it’s a good alternative.
Let’s go through the benefits and risks associated with CBD and, more specifically, CBD gummies for kids.
The research is still in its infancy, but the WHO has declared that CBD is usually safe. In their research, they’ve found that negative effects typically result from interaction with medication. Here are some benefits that show some promise:
- Can prevent seizures: Treating certain forms of epilepsy in children is one of the benefits that’s received a lot of attention. One company also put forth an anti-seizure drug made from marijuana. It’s been approved by the FDA for this purpose.
- Good for anxiety: We’re not talking about teenage angst here; we mean a diagnosed anxiety disorder. These products can help anxious children relax and feel calmer. It’s definitely a better alternative to benzos and other tranquilizers.
- Could help with ADHD: A small dose taken during the day could help your child become more focused. There is more research needed here, but anecdotal evidence from parents suggests that this could be a viable alternative to Ritalin.
- Might help with autism: Scientists in Jerusalem got some exciting results from a study involving 60 kids. The results were promising – 8 out of 10 kids showed a marked difference in behavior. The children were also calmer and able to communicate better.
- Gummies make it easier to control the dose: CBD comes in a range of different products. Gummies are convenient for kids because you’re not fiddling with syringes or counting the right number of drops. The gummies are tasty and easy to use with kids.
- Very few side effects: I still remember when my nephew was put on Ritalin. In all fairness, it was a larger dose than standard. He was meant to take four tablets a day. He changed completely. He became withdrawn and listless. It wasn’t a good thing at all. CBD has none of these side effects.
It’s not all good news. Here are some of the dangers that you need to be aware of:
- The industry is unregulated: There’s no official procedure that needs to be followed to get these products on the market. That means that manufacturers can make almost any claims about what goes into the product that they like.
- It’s big business: This is a multibillion-dollar industry. There are many that want in, and some are less scrupulous than others. They might use unsafe extraction methods and low-quality marijuana.
- Some manufacturers are less careful about THC content: THC is the compound in marijuana that gets you into trouble. Pure CBD oil contains negligible amounts. Some manufacturers either don’t know or don’t care if the THC content creeps up.
My advice is simple—you know your child. You know what they need. If they’re in pain or have a nervous disorder, these gummies could improve their quality of life. If you’re not sure, it’s definitely worth a conversation with your health care provider.