Blackjack has proven to be quite a lucrative career for the pro players who dedicate all of their working hours to the classic casino game. Though it may not have the security, structure, and routine of a typical 9 to 5 job, it can be a much more exciting way to make a living if you know how to play your cards right.
To succeed in the blackjack lifestyle, you need to have dedication, discipline, and of course a little bit of luck. The latter, however, is, according to the pros, helpful but by no means essential for success.
What Does It Take to Live the Blackjack Lifestyle Full Time?
Though it may be difficult to believe that blackjack isn’t just a game but an actual career choice for some people.There’s even a book out there called “Playing Blackjack as a Business” where old pros give advice on how to become a professional blackjack player.
Before you go ahead and quit your day job, however, we must stress that playing blackjack online for a living is not something you should go into lightly. Success will not happen instantly, and you need you to have patience and dedication if you want to succeed. As with any other job, pro blackjack requires a unique set of skills that you must master before you can even think of making it in the big time.
Basic Blackjack Strategy
Topping the list of skills needed for playing blackjack online is a basic blackjack strategy, or “card counting”. If you’ve ever seen the movie Rain Man or heard of the MIT Blackjack Team, you may be familiar with this process. In basic strategy, the blackjack player uses memory, probability, and their powers of deduction to significantly lower the house edge and improve their chances of winning each hand.
It sounds complicated, but basic strategy is just a case of following a specific set of rules with absolute precision. Some of these rules, for example, include always doubling down on a hard 11, or always splitting on a pair of 8s and aces. Though it may be tempting to forget these rules when the game isn’t going your way, the best way to succeed is by sticking it out until the advantage swings your way again.
Where to Practice Becoming a Pro
- Land-Based Casinos – In America, land-based casino hotspots like Las Vegas and Atlantic City offer the perfect environment for sharpening your basic strategy skill set. At these casinos, there are hundreds of different blackjack tables for you to enjoy and gain all the experience you need to begin your life as a professional blackjack player. However, be aware that, though it is completely legal, many casinos have a low-tolerance attitude towards card counting and will throw you out if you are caught. Considering this, we advise that you proceed with caution when practicing your craft.
- Online Casinos – Another option is online blackjack. Though these casinos lack the dazzle and glamour of those you see along the Las Vegas Strip, they are much more convenient, and you can practice from the comfort of your own home whenever you like. In addition to this, you can now play Live Blackjack where human dealers add authenticity to the game and ensure the experience is as pleasurable as it is informative.
A Few of the Best Blackjack Players of All Time
Being the greatest of all time is a common goal for any competitor, and blackjack is no different. Alongside the lure of cash prizes, victory over the next opponent is just as important for the world’s elite players. Considering this, every year there is a blackjack ball that invites 100 of the best players and pits them against each other. Below are some of the best players in the history of the game:
- James Grosjean – Widely considered as the best player in the world, Grosjean is so good that they even renamed the blackjack cup after him. He has written various guidebooks that inform aspiring players how to beat the game and was the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Blackjack Hall of Fame.
- Tommy Hyland – Author of “Playing Blackjack as a Business” and one of the most famous names in the game. Since 1979, he has managed the longest-running blackjack team in history and was one of the 7 original inductees into the Blackjack Hall of Fame.
- Don Johnson – Another major figure in the world of blackjack who is well known for winning $15 million over only six months in 2011. During a 12-hour marathon at the Tropicana Casino & Resort in Atlantic City, NJ, Johnson famously won $1.2million in just three hands, including one where he profited $800,000.
Are You Ready to Live the Blackjack Life?
It is said that if you truly love what you do for a living, then you will never have to work a day in your life. For anybody who enjoys the thrill that comes from playing blackjack, the idea that you could do just that every day without ever having to step foot inside an office again is the ultimate dream.
However, though it is entirely possible to become a pro blackjack player, it can only happen if you are prepared to do what it takes. That means dedicating yourself to the blackjack lifestyle and training your brain to master the skills. You need to have extreme self-discipline and know the game inside out if you want to be successful. Do all that, practice, stick to the rules, and maybe someday in the future, it will be your name up there alongside those all-time greats.