You Were Hurt In The Job. What’s Next?

In the event you sustain an injury while working, the first thing you ought to do is report it immediately to your supervisor. Doing this will help kick-start the process of receiving workers’ compensation.

In addition, make sure that you store all forms and receipts related to your injury, and act fast to avoid compensation delays. If you would like to learn more, here are more things you need to do.

Immediately After Injury

As mentioned earlier, the very first thing to do is reporting the injury to the immediate supervisor; however, make sure you do so in writing. In some states, verbal notice is enough, but other states require injured parties to make the notice in writing. In order to stay on the safe side, it’s better to make the report in writing to the supervisory personnel.

Furthermore, some states have set deadlines for filing – also known as the statute of limitations. This is why you should report immediately to avoid the risk of not receiving workers comp. However, make sure you seek medical care immediately after illness or injury.

Can You See Your Own Doctor

According to the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA), you are allowed to seek treatment from any doctor at the initial stages – but this does not apply to chiropractors. FECA covers federal employees, and they have the right to see their own doctors if they made a written request before an injury in some states. In typical cases, an injured employee is referred to the employer’s doctor for a maximum of one month, before they have the option of choosing their own physician.

Under FECA, the doctor is expected to submit medical reports that answer questions and concerns of workers’ comp officials. The report ought to be submitted within 30 days of the examination and should contain medical opinions of your doctor, including hearing evaluations in Southern Maine if required. If a second opinion agrees with your doctor’s notes, there should be no problem and FECA compensation will be processed uninterrupted.

How to File Your Claim

Your workers’ comp claim is not a lawsuit against your employer, but a request for benefits that are rightly yours. After you’ve reported the injury to your employer, they are then expected to give you a claim form at once. According to how to deal with an on the job injury experts, your employer has no obligation to provide any benefits until completion of the claim form.

While completing the form, fill only the section marked “Employee” and make sure to sign and date it. Plus, remember to retain a claim form copy while returning it to your employers. The employer completes the “Employer” section before forwarding the form to their workers’ comp insurance firm.

What if You are Not Satisfied with how the Claim is Resolved?

If you don’t agree with the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) final determination, you can request for a written record of the hearing. You can also request for reconsideration by writing to the District Office concerned with the decision made. However, make sure your request includes any evidence that may not have been introduced for the previous request.

You also have the option of requesting a review by the Employees’ Compensation Appeals Board (ECAB), but you cannot introduce new evidence. If the employer is disputing the claim, you can request a hearing before a Workers’ Compensation Administrative Law Judge.


If injured on the job, every employee is entitled to workers’ comp benefits. However, it’s critical you consult with a lawyer for sound legal advice and guidance during the entire process. Some lawyers provide free consultations for informing you of your rights and obligations.


Get the latest Swagger Scoop right in your inbox.

By checking this box, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our terms of use regarding the storage of the data submitted through this form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *